Microneedling is a non-invasive procedure that involves collagen induction. This is done by using a pen device or in some cases derma rollers, which makes small holes on the top of the skin. This is done in order to improve the blood flow in that area of the face. Once the procedure is over, a skin cream or a serum is applied to the face. The process of microneedling opens up the skin using tiny tears. After that, during the healing process, collagen is produced, thereby allowing the skin to smoothen out all the wrinkles and lines.
Preparing for the Microneedling Procedure
- Before going through with the microneedling procedure, it is highly recommended to meet with a skin care professional first because it will allow you to better understand what your skin requires and how micro needling might help you.
- You are also recommended to exfoliate your skin multiple times before the treatment. This should be done every two to three days in order to remove the dead skin that may accumulate on your face. By doing this, it will be easier for the needles to penetrate your top skin layer, making the overall procedure more efficient.
- You should eat plenty of fruits and vegetables since they are one of the best sources of antioxidants, which boost the heeling process. In addition, it would be helpful to increase the intake of vitamins A, C, E, and zinc.
- Another important aspect is to always stay hydrated. This improves the recovery of your skin and it is also good for your health in general. Microneedling will reduce the moisture of your skin so it is a good idea to increase the intake of liquids.
- You should avoid using harsh creams or lotions up to three days before the procedure. By doing this, you are ensuring that your skin is in the best possible condition for the procedure. Do not apply any other crème aside from the analgetic during the procedure. However, this should be discussed with your personal doctor. Make sure to keep an eye on the condition of your skin. If you notice any changes, inform the doctor immediately.
- There is no need to be afraid of the procedure. For many patients needles represent a nightmare, making them very scared and nervous. However, microneedling procedure only pierces the topmost layer of the skin, making the overall treatment painless. It is considered a safe and efficient procedure. In order to ensure that the patient does not feel any pain, topical anesthesia can also be applied just before the treatment starts. Former patients have said that they feel small vibrations that can be compared to sandpaper being rubbed against their face.
- You should expect small swelling and redness on your face after the procedure. You may look like you have been spending too much time under the sun, and your skin might feel warmer than usual. This may last up to four days. However, in some cases, the face can recover as early as two days. For those with more severe skin conditions, the longer needles may create some bleeding and bruising.
- After the session, you will notice that your skin will start to peel. Not to worry, this occurs because old skin cells are being replaced with new cells. This process may last up to a week and you are allowed to use your own moisturizer during this period. You should also pay attention to any additional instruction provided by your doctor.
- After a certain number of hours have passed after the treatment, you may be allowed to wash out your face with tepid water. This should be done very gently.
- Your skin may be sensitive to sunlight. Therefore, it is recommended to use sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher in order to avoid any unexpected side effects. Your skin may also feel drier than usual and it is necessary to constantly re-hydrate your skin and body.
- Avoid using make-up during the first 24h after the procedure. This is to prevent any possible infection from developing, which may be caused by different creams. After a few days have passed, you should be allowed to use your normal products. However, make sure that they do not contain glycolic acids since these can dry and irritate your skin.
- It is recommended to eat fresh pineapple that will increase the speed of your recovery. It contains many nutrients that can help improve the healing process.
Overall, in order for you to experience the best possible results, it is highly recommended to repeat the procedure three to five times. Each microneedling treatment should be performed after the four weeks at least. You will notice massive improvement after one session. However, your goals will only be accomplished after completing multiple sessions.